How to apply for your Unique Student Identifier (USI)
Unique Student Identifier (USI)
From January 2015, each student requires a Unique Student Identifier (USI) when studying nationally recognised training to obtain their certificate or qualification from VIT (Victorian Institute of Technology). This includes completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course at VIT.
A USI gives you access to your online USI account which will help keep all your training records together. Made up of 10 numbers, your USI will look something like this: 3AW88YH9U5.
Your USI account will contain all your nationally recognised training records and results from January 2015 onwards which will be available in your USI account.
Accessible online from a computer, tablet or smart phone anywhere and anytime, your USI will ensure you have easy access to your training records and results when applying for a job or enrolling in further study.
Do you need a USI?
Yes – when you are a student enrolling or re-enrolling in nationally recognised training from January 2015:
- for the first time – e.g. if you are studying at VIT, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course.
- school student completing nationally recognised training at VIT
- student continuing with nationally recognised training at VIT
- Continuing student who has already commenced their course in a previous year (and not yet completed it) and will continue studying after January 2015.
After creating your USI, you will need to give it to VIT so your training outcomes can be linked and to enable you to:
- view and update your details in your USI account.
- give VIT permission to view and/or update your USI account.
- give VIT view access to your transcript.
- control access to your transcript, view online, and download a transcript of your training records and results to use for job applications and enrolment in further training.
How to get a USI
A USI is free and easy to create online. You can create your own USI or VIT can create one for you as a part of the enrolment process.
Follow these steps to create your USI:
Step 1: Have two forms of identification (ID) ready from the list below:
- Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Visa (with Non-Australian Passport) for international students
- Birth Certificate (Australian)
- Certificate of Registration by Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
IMPORTANT: To make sure we keep all your training records together, the USI will be linked to your name as it appears on the form of ID you used to create the USI. The personal details entered when you create a USI must match exactly with those on your form of ID.
If you do not have proof of ID from the list above, contact VIT about other acceptable forms of ID to obtain a USI.
Step 2: Have your personal contact details ready (e.g. email address, or mobile number, or address).
Step 3: Visit the USI website at: www.usi.gov.au
Step 4: Select the ‘Create a USI’ link and follow the steps.
Step 5: Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Step 6: Follow the instructions to create a USI – it should only take a few minutes. Upon completion, the USI will be displayed on the screen. It will also be sent to your preferred method of contact.
Step 7: Write down the USI and keep it somewhere handy and safe.